Refurbishment of Water Supply Systems
SPEC does mechanical refurbishment to DWS equipment on various dams in the Eastern and Western Cape regions (2 &3 year maintenance contracts):
Western Cape (total value of contract per year to be +-R6m)
Bulshoek dam installation of 16 big sluice gates (6m*8m)and the corrosion protection to the lifting structures.
- Voelvlei dam installation of sleeve valve with pipe work inside outlet tower.
- Bulshoek dam installation of 16 big sluice gates (6m*8m)and the corrosion protection to the lifting structures
- 24 Riviere canal system – repair, blasting and coating 2 off buoyancy gates. Manufacture new sluice gate and install with hydraulics.
- Jonkershoek shaft (60m deep) – repair landings and waterproof tower
- Theewaterskloof dam – build sluice, repair valves, coatings to various pipes and valves.
- Brandvlei dam – remove, repair, corrosion protect 2 off radial gates for Holsloot canal intake works.
- Clanwilliam dam – core drill on top of dam for bracket installation, install new gates and repair 2 off outlet houses (concrete works). Install storage facilities for emergency gate on top of dam wall.
- Umtata dam – excavate 6m deep and replace a broken steel pipe (1.6m) leading from the dam to the town, build manhole chamber and drainage layers. Design, manufacture and install a s/s sluice gate. Remove, refurbish, blast & coat and re-install stack-pipe in outlet tower.
- Lubisi dam – remove 36” and 42” gate valves, refurbish/repair, corrosion protect and re-install. Do crack injection in inlet tower. Build new walkways, refurbish sleeve valves and install new butterfly valves
- Waterdown dam where both 1m diameter outlet pipes to a total length of 140m were Denso wrapped
- Laing dam – Remove, refurbish, rebuild, install and coating of dual scour outlet pipe system
- Katrivier dam – Refurbish emergency gate, crane and corrosion protect. Remove, refurbish, rebuild, install and coating of dual outlet pipe system with sleeve valves.
- Kouga dam – Remove, refurbish & re-install 2 off hydraulic cylinders (2.7 tons each) from the dam crest. Break out old scour 42” spherical valve and replace it with new knife gate valve. Replace all pipe work and corrosion protect. Install all required hydraulic equipment to operate knife gate valve.